In the past 20 years, the internet has changed the common man’s life in more ways than previously imagined. Earlier restricted only for communications between Military Agencies and Research Organisations, today we see avid internet-users of all age-groups throughout the world. This exponential growth is in itself a testament to the success and popularity of the internet.
Recent years have seen a huge jump in terms of the amount of services accessible on the internet. We are also seeing a majority of companies reaching out to their customers through the internet. The internet has helped us achieve feats in many sectors which were earlier thought to be impossible. Who would have thought that you could talk to a friend sitting in another country at the touch of a button? Or packaging companies could deliver international parcels within the accuracy of the hour? Or socialize with our friends even without leaving the house? The list is endless. The internet is a tool for development – both personal and industrial.
The internet’s impact on a person’s life is not superficial. It affects the lifestyle and behavior of individuals to their very core. This can have both – a positive as well as negative impact on the users of the internet. I have tried my best to explain these impacts under the following points:
- Kids and Teenagers
- Internet access in every household has led to a surge in the number of kids and teenagers who use the internet. No longer do kids need their grandma to help them learn the alphabet or the numbers – they can do it on their own, at the touch of a button – not only do they see the alphabet, but pre-recorded voice even pronounces it for them. No longer do children need books with sketches on them – the internet is filled with interactive websites which respond to each touch of the user. I think that soon the internet would be a more popular way of teaching kids as it preserves the spirit of the book and combines it with interactivity of the web – animations, videos, links, etc.
- Internet is now an in-separable part of many teenager’s lives. Not only does it eliminate the need of encyclopedias or dictionaries, it enhances the education experience. Since we are looking at the impact of internet as a whole, it would be foolish not to talk about non-educational experiences. The internet acts as a socializing hub – sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, GMail, Hotmail are the new rage among teens. Emails have obliterated the letters. Waiting for a friend’s reply for a week is only heard in bedtime stories of our parents. Virtual “Walls” have replaced verbal communication. Instead of sitting with friends and marveling at old photographs, we now upload it on “FaceBook” and wait for the critics to comment on it, wait for the number of “likes” to increase. Not that this a bad thing – infact, throughout history many people have either opposed development or favored it. I fall in the latter category. But in trying to keep up with all the status updates, notifications, comments, tweets, emails and what-not, most children are wasting their constructive time on not-so-important-in-the-long-run activities.
What do you think? How has the internet affected you? Has it changed you in some way or the other? Tell me about it. Comment
PS. I’ll be adding more categories in different posts about how I think the internet has affected other sections of the population. This post marks my comeback to the Underground. *The Original iPhone Exploiter – Soon coming up with OS 4.0 unlock jailbreak for 2G (old/new), 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4*
An assortment of different questions that help a person think of what he/she really wants in life. These questions helped me figure myself out when I was lost, so maybe they can aid you as well.
1. Which is worse, failing, or never trying?
Really makes you think about what you want and it convinces you to take more risks and to have less regrets.
2. To what degree have you controlled the course your life has taken?
This question is more about doing than anything else. It’s about taking action, taking responsibility.
3. Are you holding on to something you need to let go of?
Many times we are unable to do something because we can’t let go of the past. Forget the past; the only way it can haunt the future is if you let it.
4. Why are you, you?
What makes you special? How are you unique? How are you any different? Maybe you are very versatile? Who knows? Find out what you’re good at and that you enjoy simultaneously. Complete yourself by giving uniqueness to your life and what you stand for.
5. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a friend who lives right near you?
Just a little heads-up. It makes a person grateful for having friends. A reminder to never let them go.
6. It is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
Make sure you question everything before believing it. Don’t accept everything just because someone said so. If you don’t then you will surely be pushed around and used.
7. Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you enjoy doing?
Another reminder to just keep at it. Never stop pursuing your goals, no matter what. Nothing can stop you from being happy but yourself.
We often think that we are stuck in a loophole, just waiting to go to work and then come back. Feed your dog, watch television, eat a bucket of ice cream and then off to bed; rewind and repeat. Well here are some ways to better ourselves in any way we can, and some reasons why we do the things we do.
Set Goals and Go Achieve
This is a basic idea, yet most fail to practice it. For example, if I were to set my goals to getting all A’s, and then do everything in my power to achieve that goal. It doesn’t have to be related to school in any way! It doesn’t have to be so extreme either. Maybe you have always wanted to go to Cedar Point, but were to afraid. Well then set your goal to go to the carnival. However you achieve success is up to you. But, don’t forget to do everything in your power! You can do everything you’ve ever wanted, step-by-step. Even make a list if you have to then you’ll be crossing off the items on the list one by one with a smile. It brings joy to any person to be progression.
One of the best and most simple things to do, but effective. This activity can be done at almost any time of the day, and it is also among the cheapest. It doesn’t have to be the biggest, toughest work-out; even a simple walk will do. Exercise is a proven to make a person happier, and it also helps someone feel better about themselves. Builds your physique and breaks down your fat! What have you got to lose?! (except fat)
This will definitely mix things up. Writing lets an individual express his/her ideas and be creative. Sitting here right now writing this article is bringing me happiness! I don’t write to impress others, I write for myself. Often I get asked “if you don’t get paid to write, then why do you do it?” Well the simple yet complex answer to that my friend is because I ENJOY IT. Whether it’s a poem, an article, essay, idea, journal, story, book, or even just a thought on paper. Write and I promise that you will prosper!
Now, I’m not here to tell you how to live your life, but without love what is life? there is a difference between living and being alive. Find that one magical person that you want and need! Speaking from experience, I was feeling alone and empty, and I just didn’t know what was wrong. There seemed to be something missing, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it. In most cases, people are alone for so long that they have become accustomed to it. Then I got a girlfriend, it only lasted for about three months, but I did learn something. I learned that I was missing a huge chunk of life. It came to my conclusion that she was the missing piece of the puzzle. Now I look for girls left and right, take every chance I get, and you should do the same too.
To conclude, no matter what you do, don’t forget to try to better yourself. You only live once (unless you are Budhist), so make the best of it. Be all that you can be, and strive to achieve!
Any comments or stories, especially success stories are greatly appreciated.
Warning! This video contains spoilers!
(well, it is a spoiler to be honest)
I will give credit where credit is due. Thanks to author GN, I have found a video with the game ending. Its the first one it seems. And yes, I used the YouTube search, so @GN: thanks, your vid is hitting the heights