[How To] Save Money By Cutting Hair at Home
Everybody has to cut their hair right at some point or another right? Just so you know, I’m talking about the hair on your head. 😛
Ok, so if you go to the barber shop, depending on where it is and if you got any deals, hair cuts easily range from $7 up to $20. If the average haircut with taxes is a clean $15, and you cut your hair once a month, that is a grand total of $180 a year. Now if you have family members, and it costs more or less the same per person, and factor in driving to the barber shop and other misc items, cutting your family’s hair could easily go over $300 a year! This isn’t pocket change!
What can you do to alleviate the costs? Simple, buy a haircut kit, and learn how to cut each other’s hair if you have a family, or if you live by yourself, cut the hair yourself or get a friend to help you.
1) Hair cuttery kit. You can find these at stores like Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, any convenience store really.
2) A penny. On the electric razor, you may need to adjust the power of the blade. To do this, you need a penny or a flat head screw driver to adjust the power.
3) Hair cut tutorials: Find pictures of hair styles you like and try to cut it like that. Or stop by a local barber school, and see how they cut hair. Did you know if you go to a barber/cosmetology school, you can get your hair cut for low prices, or even for free? The only caveat is you may have to sit around longer as the students perfect their technique.
Google for hair cut tutorials and you shall find some. Here is one that has a link to a bunch of sites and tips for cutting hair. Source
4) A handheld mirror. This will prove to be of use when you cut someone else’s hair or your own hair as you can see what is happening in real time.
After some practice cutting each others hair, or your kids hair, you will turn that $10 haircut investment into a money saver. From time to time, don’t forget to clean out the hair and oil up the blade, and this will last you forever.
Tips for single male guys who want to save money on hair cuts
For single men, maybe you don’t want to go to the barber shop and waste your money. If you have a hair cut kit, this is what you can do.
1) If you shave your head, then thats the easiest thing to do. Put the razor on the smallest blade setting and have at it.
2) If you want to cut your hair in a particular style, I recommend going to a barber first. Afterwards, say every week or so, stand in front of the mirror and shave the sides of your head and whatever to keep it maintained. Remember, when hair is short it is easy to cut it and make it presentable. As hair gets longer, it will be easier to notice if you screw up cutting your own hair. 😛
3) As another tip, try getting a handheld mirror. When you stand in front of the bathroom mirror, use that to cut the hair you can see on the sides of your head and whatnot. To cut the hair on the back of your head and for trimming, this is where the handheld mirror is useful. You can hold the mirror in one hand, and look at that mirror to see the reflection of your head on the bigger mirror while the other hand cuts your hair. It takes awhile to get used to, but with patience, you can get a nice haircut done.
Practice makes perfect!
Posted on October 6, 2007, in Life, Money, Tutorials and tagged Barber, Cutting Hair, Family, frugal, Hair, hair cuts, how to, Money, Salons, Saving Money, tutorial. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.
that’s very interesting!! check this link it would help you out!
just wont to know how to learn to put pattians
I want a free iphone