Real Girl + Gaming Online = Uncharted Territory
6-9-09: Initial release
8-22-11: Added new disclaimer.
Disclaimer: The topics and ideas that are written below were just some of my insights that I myself have witnessed, as well as told to me by other male gamers. What I have stated does not mean that 100% of the male gaming population are douche bags. There are some docile male gamers out there, and then there are those that know how to respect girl gamers. Then there are those that don’t. This article was not written as real advice, as I am just a guy. I don’t have a degree in counseling or psychology, but I’m just telling it based upon my own male experiences. I could be wrong, or I could be right. What matters is that I have engaged you into a possible discussion, and that is all that matters. – Versatile
Are you a girl who plays games? Awesome, we need more gamers like yourself online since a majority of it is dominated by the male race. However, my advice to current and future game girls: Be careful of how you present yourself online. Let me explain below and why I am sick of the baggage that comes with game girls and them complaining once they start to get chewed out.
Pros of Game Girls
- Keep guys sharp. If you beat a guy, you can rub it in. A girl beat you! ROFL!
- New friendships. Guys who find out a gamer is a girl will act differently (for better or worse?)
- Playing with a girl is different than playing with guys all the time. Breaks up the tension.
- Can turn into a virtual gaming relationship?
- The sound of a girl makes some guys tremble to their knees. :0
Cons of Game Girls
- Some game girls are just frickin’ annoying. They talk and rant and talk some more about nothing, especially in Garena chat rooms (as an example).
- If a girl beats a guy, and they are mean, they will rub it in and hold it to you for life.
- Girls can be pissy and will rip on anyone who doesn’t follow their values/ideas.
- If a girl is harassed verbally or through online text, it causes a scene. More douchebag guys may take advantage of the event and start to participate in the online abuse.
- Girls may be treated different than male players solely for the fact the gamer is a girl and nothing else.
- Guys behave differently when playing with a girl? Cramps the guy style possibly?
- Some game girls really suck at playing the game. Then when they die, they blame it on themselves because they are a girl, or when it comes to games, it is expected the weakest player is the girl.
- Some game girls are not hardcore enough, and are so casual in their game playing that they are unreliable game players.
Advice for the new and current Game Girls
If you are a girl, and you are going to be playing online, please do not pick a name that somehow implies you are a girl! Why?
First of all, see the con list above. The fact that guys know you are a girl can change the dynamics of the game. Male players may not give their best, or if they do, they will try to outdo you in everything simply because they do not want their gaming ego to be hurt by a girl.
Secondly, do not pick a name that is girlish. A name like airgirl111 or SexyJessica is going to bring insult. Male players are going to make jokes and say you are a guy with a girl name. You may proceed to defend yourself and somehow prove to the others that you truly are a girl. Using a microphone makes it easy, but for those who do not have mics, it may not be easy in the end to prove you are a girl if that is important to you.
Thirdly, being a girl and letting others know is going to bring harassment in one way or another. Do not be surprised if guys start making sexual comments or jokes around you. When I am in these chat rooms reading it, I take pity on both the game girl as well as the people who partake in the activity. What is even more sad is that sometimes the game girl provokes others and encourages the “rough” behavior!
I don’t get it. Some people just want to throw sophistication out the window. If you are going to pick a new identity online, you can’t go wrong with a neutral name like Iknowtx3000sux, Peppers, Lightbulb, Hammer, RemoteControl, Screwdriver, HousePet, Drill, NonTool, and AfricanPancakes (actually people might think you are African so scratch that). Well, you get the point.
If you are a girl, and one day start bitching about how people treat you, then I advise you take a hard look at how you act online. Do you provoke others? Encourage rude behavior? Game name is girl like? Well, that is your fault and shame on you.
However, there are other game girls out there that are perfectly fine and people don’t harass. These girls are nice players, and although some of them have “girly” names, they at least act in a respectable manner like for example names like britney, xbladex, or ziggi.
What do you think? Am I off base? If you are a girl gamer, tell me what you think. I am interested in what you got to say!
Share this Post