[How To] Play Left 4 Dead 2 LAN Online Using Tunngle (Garena, or Hamachi)
Easy to remember URL = http://www.tinyurl.com/l4dguide2
Garena username = versatileninja, Tunngle username = versatile
Foreword: As we all know, L4D2 right now is an awesome game. Similar to last year, I was involved with writing Hamachi and Garena guides for L4D1. It was good for awhile, but in retrospect it was a pain and almost a mistake to talk about questionable practices. The tutorials got so popular that WordPress caught on and we had a 9 day suspension which turns out because we had links to so called “cracks” and the articles were removed to keep the blog alive. If you want to continue with L4D 1, see the unofficial L4D site here.
Now that L4D 2 is here, I am going to take a different approach. WordPress staff or other questionable readers I have this statement for you. No way does this tutorial indirectly or directly facilitate illicit methods or devious acts of behavior (also known as piracy). This tutorial shows legitimate gamers how to play Left 4 Dead 2 online without having to succumb to Steam and be forced to use it for their gaming pleasure. This tutorial shows users how to host and connect to LAN games online without having to resort to Steam. If you believe this is a mistake, search google and see how many gamers are resorting to other needs to play games without Steam. Now the tutorial has become more valuable. Left 4 Dead 2 is a great game. Support Valve. Support “innovation”. – Versatile
11-30-09: Initial release.
12-1-09: Added information on name changing method. Added some Garena items because honestly, they need help bad.
12-2-09: Did additional testing and simplified the hosting process instructions. Determined sv_allow_lobby_connect 0 and sv_lan 1 not required.
12-3-09: Added master patch to 2003. Rewrote the whole tutorial guide to make it even easier to follow and adding personal zing.
12-4-09: Added Hamachi 22.214.171.124 instructions.
12-5-09: Added stryder 2003 patch. Added 2004 incremental patch (tried a new one). Added subtitle/ammo files and more to the troubleshooting section.
12-6-09: Made note about revloader. Please get rid of it! Made all download links dropbox.
12-7-09: New links in download section for 2004 patch. The previous 2004 patch per online scan has a virus in it, and my local AV did not detect it.😦
12-9-09: Added 2005 patch and stryder dec 8th update.
12-11-09: The master patch 2005 wasn’t working right. Fixed the download section and changed instructions. Added new stand alone. Added Tunngle instructions.
12-12-09: Added master patch 2006. Deleted name changing tutorial as it is now obsolete thanks to new standalone or stryder patch.
12-13-09: Added more links in download section and redone the instructions. Added misc. footage section, courtesy of Tunnglers.
12-14-09: Added different fix for the rzr-init file.
12-19-09: Added 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 patch file.
12-20-09: Added master patch to 2007.
12-28-09: Added my youtube video.
12-30-09: Added new links for 184.108.40.206 and standalone.
1-7-10: Fixed link for standalone. New update for standalone.
1-14-10: Added link for 220.127.116.11.
1-16-10: New standalone version T9.
1-18-10: Fixed link for standalone version T9 rev 3.
1-20-10: Standalone was updated. Fixed link.
2-9-10: 18.104.22.168 files and standalone links updated.
2-17-10: Fixed link for standalone patch.
2-23:10: Added new links for 22.214.171.124.
2-26-10: Added new links for 126.96.36.199.
4-15-10: Fixed a command for hosting error.
4-27-10: Added 188.8.131.52 links!
5-13-10: Added 184.108.40.206 links!
5-24-10: Added 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 incremental links!
6-5-10: Redid the whole download section.
6-26-10: Added L4D2 tunngle download section.
Note: This is a warm hello to all gamers who are looking how to play L4D 2 LAN online. Props goes first of all to the Tunngle team and the community there. Garena and Hamachi get no brotherly love. Read the rant below to understand why. Nonetheless, I decided to put up a quick Garena setup guide because they need help irregardless what the VPN program is and I am a nice guy.🙂
Welcome reader. Pick your path below:
* Hi, I want to play L4D 2 online using Garena? [Go to section X]
* Hi, I want to play L4D 2 online using Hamachi? [Go to section Y]
* Hi, I want to play L4D 2 online using Tunngle? [Go to section Z]
* I am new and have no idea at all where to start on how to play L4D 2 online. [Great! Go to section W for background information on various VPN programs]
* I am smart and I know about all these different VPN programs. Just tell me how to get the latest files, and host/join games for L4D 2! [Fine! Go to section V]
* I want to see some game footage? [Go to section U]
What is Tunngle?
Tunngle is a VPN program that lets computer users (mainly gamers) play games that have LAN online over the Internet for free. Read more about it in the below article I had written before:
With that said, Tunngle is a great program. If I had known Tunngle existed when I wrote L4D 1 guides, I would have skipped the entire “Restricted class C error’ and all the blunders with Garena. 😛
What is Garena and Hamachi?
Garena and Hamachi are VPN programs. Garena is specifically created to work with only certain games. To learn more about Garena, please go to www.garena.com.
Hamachi is a VPN program that can be used for gaming, but it has other useful needs. To learn more about the program, please go to www.hamachi.cc.
Why Versatile dislikes Hamachi and Garena?
I will keep this short and simple. These are my opinions only, and do not reflect as a recommendation. You are entitled to use whatever program you wish to use.
- 16 player network max.
- Hard to find Hamachi networks.
- Never enough players online.
- USA main room when full is hard to get into for free users.
- The immaturity level of the Garena chat room is ridiculously low.
- The community just doesn’t feel right.
- If your friend is not logged onto the same Garena server upon login, you will not see his game.
Please proceed to any of the following sections of your choosing.
For those who want to use Garena:
Real quick this is how to setup L4D 2 for Garena:
1) Download and install Garena from www.garena.com
2) Log in. Go to L4D 2 lobby room.
3) Click “Settings” button. Tell it where your left4dead2.exe is in the path. See screenshot below:
4) Now sit in the chat room and converse with your buddies, or press “Start Game”. Follow the rest of the tutorial in section V.
Please go to Section V.
For those who want to use Hamachi:
Version 1.03.0 and 2.0+ works:
1) Create a Hamachi network for your friends, your computers, or go find a Hamachi network for L4D 2. (Good luck!)
2) VPN Alias is not required! What does this mean?
It means all you need to do with Hamachi is just install, go to a network with your friends, and host/join the game according to Section V.
Note: Steam group server will not work under Hamachi. You must use console command “connect ip.address” where the IP address is that of the host.
Example: Awsome26 is hosting so I do “connect 22.214.171.124“.
Please go to Section V.
For those who want to use Tunngle:
1) Get the latest version of Tunngle at www.tunngle.net. Install it. Remember to make a tunngle account on the website.
2) Log into the program. Go to networks, and then go to Shooter. Press forward a few times to get to Left 4 Dead 2 room.
3) Once in, just start your game.
Please go to Section V.
Note: The tutorial below is meant to be priceless. It doesn’t matter if you have Tunngle, Hamachi, or Garena, you do the same steps. Remember: Hamachi users have to use connect command for joining.
Tutorial Starts Here (all files below are virus free and legitimate):
[Latest version is 126.96.36.199]
Special note added on 6-5-2010: Due to time constraints, it would be better if I linked you to the Garena forum that is constantly updating their patches. It is easier for you to visit that link, rather than me updating with master patches, incremental patches, and standalone patches all the time. This will save me time so I can work on other more important projects. Thank you.
Download master patches, incremental patches, and the standalone patch: Click here Garena L4D2 resource page.
Backup Source: Tunngle guide with up to date Download links to patches
Note: Missing subtitles and other elements in your game like ammo counter? See troubleshooting section.
Explanation of what to do as of current day:
1) Download the latest master or incremental patch to get you updated to current day. For example, if the current version is 3009, and you are on version 2000, then you need to get the correct patches to update yourself to 3009.
In order to check your existing version of the game:
* Enable developer’s console in keyboard/mouse options.
*Press ` (its the symbol to left of 1)
*Type “version” without quotes. Update your game accordingly for the love of god and correctly.
2) Download the appropriate standalone/stryder patch. It will help with crashing to desktop (for most people). At the time of this writing, when you exit the game, it will give you an error. This is normal.
*Run the standalone or stryder patch wizard. Browse to the ROOT of your Left 4 Dead 2 game. The ROOT means the parent folder where left4dead2.exe is located.
3) Run the Ingen.exe in the root. Now run the left4dead2.exe file and you are ready!
How to host a game:
We will be using the console. If you want to use the GUI, that is up to you.
1) Bring up console by pressing `.
2) Type “hostname (name of your game)” to setup the server name. For example, “hostname Versatile Test” gives me a game server called Versatile Test. Press enter.
3) For added measure, type “sv_consistency 0“. Press enter. This fixes any future consistency errors your players may get.
4) Type “net_start“. Press enter.
5) Now time for a map plus game mode. Type “map (press down arrow to see the maps) (gametype)”). Press enter. Available game types that I believe exist is: coop, versus, scavenge, realism, survival. My example is “map c1m1_hotel campaign“.
That is it! If you believe there is a shorter way of hosting through console, let me know and get credit.
How to join a game:
1) You should see steam groups at the bottom if someone is hosting. (Note: Hamachi users will not see this. Hamachi users must connect through console such as “connect 188.8.131.52“)
Click on it in lower right hand corner.
2) On next screen it looks like this. Click the game and then on join to play!
Misc. Gameplay footage and tutorials!
1) Game gives you message about Steam.
Solution: Turn off steam and try the game again.
2) You are missing subtitles, ammo counter on your guns, and other files.
Solution: If you have something called razor release, then I am told you need to run the rzr-init.exe file. Don’t have it?
Get it from here: Multiupload
Please note that per local Anti Virus programs, it has virus like signatures. False positives or reality? It’s up to you to decide.
Posted on December 1, 2009, in Gaming, Tunngle and tagged Gaming, Garena, hamachi, how to, L4D, lan, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, left 4 dead 2 hamachi, left 4 dead 2 lan, Tunngle, tutorial, valve, VPN, Windows. Bookmark the permalink. 421 Comments.