[How To] Play Age of Mythology LAN Online Using Tunngle (Forget Hamachi/Garena)
1-25-10: Initial release.
I was testing this game recently and discovered that by default when hosting a LAN game online using Tunngle, it likes to use your default IP address assigned by your router. An example would be 192.168.0.1. This is irritating because you want the game to recognize your Tunngle IP address. What to do?
Don’t worry, I suffered so you don’t have to. I have a quick tutorial and its so easy to follow that you will be up and running in no time.
Here are the steps:
1) Install Age of Mythology. Update yourself to the latest version of the game. You can get the patch at Filefront.
2) Login to the Tunngle program and go to the Age of Mythology room under Strategy. Don’t know what Tunngle is? Please read my guide here.
Here is the most important step. All people who want to play must do this!
3) Now I want you to disconnect your Internet adapter. The easiest way is to just disconnect your wireless or ethernet cable. If you don’t want to do that, then under Network Connections in Control Panel, disable your primary Internet adapter. Yes, we are leaving Tunngle on. Every single person who wants to play (even the clients) must do this.
4) Launch the game. Host. In the top left hand corner, you will see your Tunngle IP address. It will show off as 7.X.X.XXX or whatever your IP address turns out to be. If you are a client, just wait until the host is back online.
5) Alt-Tab to the desktop, re-enable your Internet adapter. Tunngle will reconnect itself. Now everybody should have done this disconnect trick. If you want to join the host, when you go to the multiplayer section you will see the game and now you can join!
1) Make sure UDP 11155 is port forward on your router.
2) Allow Tunngle through your firewall program.
3) If you do not do the disconnect trick, the game will revert to your 192.168.XXX.XXX address.