Underground Summer School?
6-13-10: Initial release.
1) Timeframe: June 18th through August 18th
2) Price: Free.
3) How to sign up? Leave a comment here on this article.
4) Maximum amount of students? 10 (subject to change)
5) Topics to cover: Computers, Life, Technology, Underground Specific Topics
6) Homework assignments? Due every two weeks, with a final project at the end. The grade for each assignment will be determined by the timeliness, and quality of the assignment.
7) Agenda? To be determined with the help of the students. With input, I need to figure out how to structure the class. For example, let’s say one segment of the group wants to learn how to do IRC, but another segment doesn’t care about it and want to do video related stuff. Do we force everyone to learn a topic, even a topic they don’t care about? Or should it be independent study with Underground Guidance? Reflect, share, discuss, comment. Thanks!
Now that summer break is in session for many students around the world, who would want to consider going back to school so soon? Well, guess what. If you are bored this summer and looking for something to do, why not make it useful for your own life,and also for others?
Last week I was thinking about this idea, and of course it will fail or succeed based upon the involvement of the community. Very soon I will pitch this idea on Youtube and see if I can get any volunteers but the premise is this:
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to write an article for a blog? Or how about making a video on Youtube? Maybe you wondered what it would be like to do some research perhaps? I can provide the opportunities so that you can get a flavor as to what it takes to run a social life on the Internet. :0
I still have to figure out what the agenda is going to be, but it all comes down to this: I give you an opportunity to experience something new. I don’t know if I will give out lesson plans or not (seems like a lot of work already), but what if we had a theme every two weeks for the students to reflect and study about?
After that, we will give each student the opportunity to decide how they want to share the information they have learned. Want to share it on the blog? We can arrange that. Want to release a tutorial on youtube? Great, I will even host it on the GameDexterity account (don’t worry, I will label it as “summer school” material) so your video can instantly reach thousands of viewers instead of starting from scratch on a non-visible youtube account.
The possibilities are endless. For this first time around, I am going to limit it to 10 students only (it be amazing if we get demand higher than that).
You will be graded on your “assignments’, and I will give criticism. At the end of the summer school, each student will have a “final project’, that is yet to be determined.
The summer school session will go from June 18th through August 18th. We can have students drop in and out at any time, which is fine, but note that I will grade you upon the time you were here. Most likely any student who signs up and then drops out of the course will receive an automatic “F”.
Sounds interesting, right? The people who are pro-active and participate will benefit the most. Those who do not will just be left behind and you can see as the summer progresses how the program works. Then next year I will revamp it over again. If you want to sign up, leave a comment here, and I will get back to you with details.
I will most likely make a private google documents spreadsheet that has all the students names, emails, and contact details so that other students can contact each other for ideas and maybe for group projects? 🙂 Good luck!