July 6th – Underground Update
7-6-10: Initial release.
So without me posting for awhile, you as the reader may have been wondering what I have been up to for last few weeks. All I can say is that I have been busy with random projects, and because of some work related items, it has eaten into some of my free time.
Nonetheless, here are some quick items to discuss so you know whats going on:
1) The UCC forum activity has died down considerably since its introduction at the beginning of the year. Because of this, Sneakily1 and myself has decided to discontinue supporting the UCC. This is a shame, because much work was done to jumpstart it, but as the year progressed, I got tied up with the Book and then other life factors started to get into the way of the UCC.
The problems with hosting your own forums is that if you don’t do enough to keep the interest alive, it will die on its own. I have been part of many forums in my past life, and unless you have a good community to participate in, the forum will not last long.
2) The Underground Summer School may have to be cancelled after all. Interest was not where it needed to be at, and since I will be out traveling this summer for business, it will be hard to keep regular schedule up.
3) GameDexterity activity has been very busy. The greatest breakthrough recently was the Heroes of Newerth LAN tutorial video, the first ever on Youtube. I’ve been working those forums watching the activity, and its nice to see that the community literally boomed over night once my video hit the scene.
Also, there is discussion of a special video happening in the feature. It will be the most interesting GD project ever, but I can’t reveal it until details have been figured out
4) If you try to find me online, you will notice that I am usually busy with what I call special projects. Why do I have so many special projects? I have them because it keeps me busy when I have some free time when I don’t feel like watching a movie or playing a game. There are a lot of projects I want to get my hands around, but below is a quick top 3 project list I am investigating or want to write a guide on:
1) TCP-COM is a program that emulates serial over TCP/IP. Problem is the program is shareware. A youtube user has told me about open source solution com0com that emulates serial over TCP/IP. He is interested in getting Diablo 1 to work. In meantime, he found a free battle.net emulation service called FSGS, but I still want to test this com0com solution and see if it truly works or not.
2) In my house, I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is upstairs, and the laptop is downstairs when I do work on the couch watching TV or whatever. Recently, I have increased my productivity by installing Ultra VPN on both PCs. Now instead of having to walk back and forth, I can use the Ultra VPN to tunnel into the desktop or the laptop and vice versa. Now I can check my video encode or bittorrent downloading without having to move!
A tutorial about this will be coming soon.
3) I want to briefly talk about a novelty factor program called FolderICO. It allows you to set icons for folders on your PC. It may not seem much, but it is definitely cool and deserves to be talked about.
This is about it for now. I wanted to talk about how to turn your a video into a desktop wallpaper, but that will have to be another day.
If you are a blog author, please leave a comment and let us know what you are up to!