How To Play PS1 USB Games on Modded PS2 Using Popstarter
3-24-16: Initial release.
So recently I finally got the time to do a proper popstarter USB video. If you are not familiar with Popstarter, basically what it does is when you have the proper files, you can play your PS1 games via USB on the PS2 that is modded (can be modchip or FMCB) and the game compatibility is very high. See the video tutorial at the end of this post for exact process details. But in a nutshell, the process is as follows:
- Get the all the correct software from Assemblergames: Link
- The software is Cue2Pops v2.0 along with the gui program
- Get the stable and beta version of popstarter.
- Extract Cue2Pops program into its own folder. Extract the GUI program and put that into the Cue2Pops root folder.
- Get the PFS_WRAPS.BIN file from the WIP 05 zip file and extract that to the desktop.
- Get the POPSTARTER.ELF file from the WIP 06 zip file and extract that to the desktop.
- Format a USB thumb drive or external hard drive as FAT 32.
- Create a “POPS” folder without quotes on the root of your FAT 32 usb device. Inside this “POPS” folder, put the PFS_WRAPS.BIN file in there. You also want another file called “POPS.PAK”. Use google to find it, or check out this boring link here.
- Now find a PS1 game that is a .bin and .cue file extension. Run the CUE2Pops gui program, give it the input file of the .cue, and the output path should be your POPS folder on your usb device. Convert it over.
- Now take the POPSTARTER.ELF file from the desktop, and put that into the root of your usb device (or in a folder), and name it like this without quotes “XX.nameofgame.elf”. For example, “XX.Marvel vs Capcom.elf”.
- Now eject the hard drive, plug into the PS2. Turn it on, navigate to Ulaunchelf and then go to your MASS drive and run the .elf file for your game. If all done correctly, the game will load and you will have a good time! Enjoy!
Posted on March 24, 2016, in playstation 2 and tagged popstarter, PS1, ps2, USB. Bookmark the permalink. 9 Comments.
When I do this I get the PlayStation splash screen, then my monitor loses video feed, I can still hear the game in the background but no video can be seen
I haven’t seen that before, are you using rca cables or component cables?
You can fix this by either adding $HDTVFIX to CHEATS.TXT or patching the configuration table :
The gui program keeps crashing and refuses to work whenever I try to convert a game file. I keep getting the program not working pop up. How do I fix this?
Post your issue on the popstarter forums.
Actually I just wasn’t doing it right so nevermind. I figured it out.
hi yes, when i play spyro 3 on my ps2, for some odd reason it just freezes in game. i did all the steps correctly and no luck. am i doing something wrong? or does the game not work in some parts? is there a compatibility list i can examine?
Never tried so can’t comment. Do you have a modded ps3, if yes you can try there as well.